on the needles

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mary Joy's Birthday Gifts

This was the first package we ever sent to one of our sponsor kids. We were testing the waters to see if anything would really arrive. But so far Children International has handled everything on their end really well and the international post hasn't let us down yet. (Fingers crossed because we are still waiting on a package that we sent to Jester that should have arrived weeks ago!).

My sister did have some problems with packages she sent to one of her sponsor kids in India. Only half of the contents arrived safely - the rest was likely stolen by customs workers. :( I think some countries are safer than others in that regard for sure. We have done Ecuador, Guatemala and the Philippines without any problems. I'll let you know what happens when we try Chile and Honduras!



This is Mary Joy our very first sponsor kids. She is twelve and lives in the Philippines.



We had just started sponsoring her around the time of her birthday so a few months later we sent these little gifts as a belated birthday present.



We mainly sent her girly things. I thought every girl likes hair accessories, handbags and Hello Kitty stuff right? Also, the t-shirt she is wearing is one we sent. I was relieved when I saw that it fit okay! Since then I have gotten braver about sending clothes to all the kids.



In other news, we just got some photos of our sponsor kid Ana in Ecuador that I can't wait to share. And I am nearly at the bottom of the dress I am knitting for my daughter. Only 2-3 more inches to knit, then the ruffle and then it's on to the sleeves. That should go fast since I am knitting half sleeves. This has been a fun project and I can't wait to show it to you all! Only problem is that it was supposed to last me through my up coming vacation. Now I've got to hurry up and swatch for something else!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

I love how happy they look, and I'm sure that a box of toys is not a regular occurrence for them!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Dolores Kitchin said...

I work for Children International, and I want to thank you for being such a dedicated sponsor of more than one child. The photos of Mary Joy with your gifts wonderful. I am glad you found mailing her gifts a good experience. We work very hard every day to connect you to your sponsored children in a fulfilling way.

Thank you for being an advocate for poor children around the world.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love your sponsor children pics I have two sponsor kids

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home