on the needles

Monday, April 14, 2008

It's a Square World

I just can't stop the crochet - even though it gives me finger burn on my left forefinger that I use to guide the yarn and keep tension. Guess that means I crochet fast. It also means I crochet looking like a geek with a band aid on my finger as a shield. :)

Anyhoooo....

I'm loving the simpleness, the instantness, the sock yarnyness, the just plain squareyness of it all. So perfect for impatient obsessive compulsives. :)



I'm using a square pattern called "Square Target". Totally a traditional square, nothing new or fancy about it. Hopefully the way I am planning on putting them together will add some pizzazz to the finished blanket. (Wait, did I just use the word pizzazz? Ewwww...)



The yarn is every shade of Plymouth Sockotta I could lay my hands on.

This is the scrap square. I'm using all the leftovers and just making one big square - round and round and round. It's a great travel project. I just throw all the leftovers in a big baggie and go. I think it's much easier to crochet in a moving car than to knit.



Well - that's all for my crafty update.

Who else is super excited for the new season of Deadliest Catch? The best show ever for thrill seeking (from the safety of the couch of course) obsessive compulsives. I mean really. They set the pots. They launch the pots. They pull up the pots. They sort the crabs. Repeat to infinity. I love it. Plus there's always the chance of great bodily harm. (Which I totally hope never happens!! But still.)

PS - I am going gluten free - two weeks and counting! So, in the search for starchy snackiness I made some rice pudding. Why is it that the first bite of rice pudding is the best thing ever - but by the fifth bite it tastes so sweet you never ever want to eat it again? I think next time I'll try making it without any sugar. Would that taste any good?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger jessie said...

Your crochet squares are absolutely beautiful!

I'm not fighting with gluten, but I'm abandoning all products with high-fructose corn syrup (which is surprisingly insidious) and I'm contemplating a week without any refined sugar. I love it, but it makes me feel so bloated and tired.

Maybe your gluten challenge will fire up my sugar challenge.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Your squares are fun! Hee hee - I sometimes have to wear a bandaid on my left index finger because of the way I knit continental...

Maybe you just need to use a fraction of the sugar in the rice pudding? And I'm now sitting at the computer that has more recipes on it - I'll try to scavenge up a few for you. :)

8:55 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I am in absolute awe of your craftiness!

Good luck on your gluten-free lifestyle! We're trying to go high-fructose corn syrup free in our house, and as Jessie said above, it is a pretty sneaky ingredient. I had to give up my favorite hot sauce!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

The squares took great. I am sooo looking forward to tonight's new episode of the Deadliest Catch! The crabs - the waves - the adventure of it all. What's not to like? (Sig is my favorite.)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Blogger ate my comment--if it shows up twice I apologize.

Love the squares! It's the crochet cousin to my Barn Raising Quilt. I especially like the teeny tiny squares--cute.

I have to bandaid my index finger every time I use Addi lace needles--they puncture my finger every time.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home