on the needles

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Large Dodecahedron

I think this star is so big it creates it's own gravity! Towards the end I certainly felt like I was crocheting an entire planet! ;) It's much heavier than the small version. Not too heavy to be a fun toy but I don't suggest throwing it at anyone. :)



I stuffed the points with acrylic yarn because I needed something that would be more solid & hold the shape better than just polyfil. I filled each point about halfway with yarn and then stuffed the rest with polyfil. It took a whole bag! I omitted the jingle bells since you probably wouldn't be able to hear them buried in all that polyfil. :)



My constellation of stars.



This gives a good sense of the scale of the large dodecahedron. The original pattern makes the small purple star in front.



For the large star I used Plymouth Sockotta and a base chain of 95 stitches. (If you modify this pattern then keep in mind that it only works in multiples of five & the total has to end in five.) More details on my Ravelry....

Whew! That was fun! But I think I'll take a break from stars for awhile. However, I am still crocheting using up all the leftover sock yarn making squares for a scrap blanket. :)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You and Craftylilly are out of control! Those are definitely very cool.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That is stunningly AWESOME! Yep, I'm still in love with this pattern.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

The stars are very cool!

4:42 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

They're great! That big one could star in the movie "The Dodecahedron That Ate Manhattan"!

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two are out of control! Purty though.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Mallow said...

These are great! Is this what the squares graduating in size become?
I'm teaching myself to crochet..one day there will be a star like this in my future.
I'll visit your ravelry page to get more info. In the mean time I would like to add you to my blogroll if that is okay with you?

Cheers!

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home