on the needles

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Bye Bye Jude

You may have noticed my bandaged forefinger in the second photo in my last post. That was the result of a serious bite from Jude.

The DNA tests came back & it turns out that we do have a boy and girl - just as I suspected.

And after talking with several different bird breeders and owners I was told over and over that Jude was not going to be able to be able to become a trustable tame pet. Once a male bird is set us in a breeding pair the hormones take over & boy do they rage! Poor Jude. I do sympathise. I think he might have a chance to be a good pet for somebody who can really work with him. But that's not going to happen when he is in the same house as his lady love Lucy. So Jude will be going to live with a lady I know that runs an aviary. I trust her to take good care of him.

This decision came before the bad bite Jude gave me. But the bite confirmed my feelings that it would not be good if one of the kids ever just couldn't resist and stuck a finger in his cage. He could easily break thier little bones! :(

We are taking Jude to his new home tomorrow and meeting some of the baby birds she has. We would still like a second bird. I think it is important for them to have another parrot to interact with.



In the meantime Lucy is turning out to be an awesome little bird. I'm not pushing her but she has already become so loving and trusting. Pionus parrots have a charming habit of purring when they are very very happy. It's so rewarding that we already have Lucy at that stage! She is just in heaven getting her scritches and even lets me pet her under her wings. Someday I will make a video of her purring - it's amazing!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to keep Jude, but it does sound like he will be happier with another home.

9:35 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ouch! Hopefully Jude finds a good home. I had no idea that parrots purred!

10:58 PM  
Blogger jessie said...

The path to true love is....something not easy. Too bad the boy had to go. But Lucy is a cutie pie.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good decision, and you know he'll be cared for.

Lucy sounds lovely too. I'm glad she's settling in well. If a parrot lets you rub under their wings, that is extremely trusting of them! She must really feel at home and happy.

6:28 PM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Sorry to hear about Jude but it sounds like the right decision. Lucy is adorable.

4:00 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I was finally able to get to your blog (computer problems) and Lucy is gorgeous! I look forward to following her adventures :)

1:44 PM  
Blogger RoxyK said...

Lucy is gorgeous. Look forward to hearing her purr ;)

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home