on the needles

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Odds and Ends

First some updates and other random things:

1. Icing or freezing the silly putty does help it come off the blanket. It kind of peels off. I think I will be able to get 99% of it off of my daughters knitted blanket. However, we also discovered silly putty smeared all over one of her handmade authentic Amish quilts too. I'm not so optimistic about being able to get that clean. :(

2. There will be no more silly putty in this house.

3. My mom continues to do well. Her genetic testing came back clear so that means my risk of breast cancer is not increased. We also think she may be able to get away without doing any chemo! That would be great!! We will know better about that in probably three weeks - waiting on yet more tests of course. But so far her prognosis is good enough that she has decided to go ahead with her plan of getting a dog. :) She is considering a Leonberger.

4. My dear daughter just read me "My Friend is Sad" by Mo Willems. She is actually not really reading but repeating the book from memory. It's her favorite book and hearing her "read" it was the cutest thing ever. She also has a stuffy nose which just adds to the cute factor.

5. Some pictures of my nephew enjoying his Vestee that I knit for him.





My SIL says that every time they go out someone will ask her where they can get a sweater like that. She says - you can't. :) Here is my Ravelry page for the sweater.

6. Carrie asked about the bio of Edith Wharton I am reading. Well - all I can say is TEDIOUS. It's one of those bios where the author obviously did a TON of research so they are going to make damn sure that they put it ALL in the book. If Edith Wharton subscribes to a magazine then you will also get a list of every other famous name that also subscribed to that magazine. If Edith Wharton takes a road trip then you will get a list of all the towns she drove through on the way to her destination. There are detailed descriptions of every garden Edith Wharton ever visited complete with the names of every plant grown there. Really, I don't know why I persist in finishing the thing - sheer stubbornness I think. I greatly prefer biographies where I feel like I get to know the person I'm reading about, get to understand more about who they are, not just what they did. This bio falls into the "what they did" category. :(

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Counter-surfing, high-energy, digging, destructive.... yikes! Are they exaggerating or is this really a tough breed to handle?

http://www.leonbergerclubofamerica.com/breedinfo.aspx

5:41 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I don't think they exaggerate. The Leonberger is a very strong, independant & stubborn breed. I think probably quite a handful. But my Mom can't resist the pretty coat.

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the good news on your mom. I've never heard of that breed before. But dogs ARE good company, for sure. Even when they're only 9 pounds, like Peppy.
Jo-Anne

6:13 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Your nephew is so darn cute, and the sweater looks so sweet on him.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm glad to hear things are looking good for your mom! Your nephew is adorable.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Dianne said...

That's great news about your mom. A Leonberger? Never heard of them, but they are beautiful!

11:03 AM  
Blogger teabird said...

First, I'm so happy to hear about your mom - and the genetic testing - she has to be in great spirits to be considering a huge dog that sounds as if it could eat from the top of the refrigerator, and cover the house in hair! Seriously, I never heard of it, either, but it is very, very beautiful.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Wharton biography. I was about to put it on my list. Now I don't have to.

Your nephew is so, so cute!

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Leonbergers are so very cute though! Good news on your Mom, crossing fingers for her!

I had a feeling that Wharton bio was going to be like that. It was on hold for me at the library end of Jan - I took one look at it and asked if it was Vol 1. (she stared at me blankly but I cracked up the other librarian) and handed it back. Maybe after tax season.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you just love comments on your knitted garments like the ones your SIL received? It makes you feel so good!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

You know, people will ask you if you can knit them one for like $25 or something...eeek. It's hard to explain to someone that the yarn alone costs 2x that (or more)

9:11 PM  
Blogger jessie said...

Cute vest!

As for Edith Wharton, I know two things: I loved "Roman Fever," and they used to do Shakespeare plays at The Mount, her home in Lenox, MA. I saw A Midsummer Night's Dream there, performed outdoors, at the edge of the woods, at night, with campfires burning in the woods and actors dressed as sprites and fairies. The play was laugh-out-loud funny (who knew?) and it was one of the most memorable nights of my teen years. (No, it's not really about Wharton, but it's a lot more exciting than her bio, apparently!)

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home