on the needles

Thursday, February 21, 2008

What I Did On My Summer Vacation...

During the great Kitchen Remodel of the Summer (and unfortunately also Fall and Winter)of 2008 I knit quite alot. To keep my sanity. :)

Here's one of the FO's - a baby blanket for my nephew. This is the only picture I got of it all finished up, when we gave it to him on Christmas.



I used Jojoland Rythym in two different shades. I think I cast on about 272 stitches and just started mitering. A full pack of yarn made two squares with enough bits left over of each to make the edging. My favorite square is the one on the bottom right corner. I just like the way the colors aligned for that one. You can read more about the blanket on my Ravelry project page.

I made a second blanket the same but in different colors for my daughter.

She promptly ground some silly putty** into it so I don't have a pretty, all finished up picture of that one. Sigh.

Anyone know how to remove silly putty from knits? I was thinking about putting it in the freezer and then sort of breaking the frozen silly putty off. I have memories of my mom doing the same thing for a cherished pair of overalls of mine when I was a kid. I had silly putty all ground into the butt. You see, I had taken the silly putty to the dinner table with me. Knowing of course that I wasn't supposed to have toys at the dinner table, I cleverly hid the silly putty by sitting on it. Unfortunately I failed to think my plan through. Warm kid butt + silly putty = disaster. All I knew was that silly putty was the awesomest thing ever and I was not going to be parted from it for one second lest it fall into the hands of my evil sibling. I'm pretty sure my daughter had the same sort of idea when she took the silly putty to bed with her.

**And for the record, I TOLD Hubby that silly putty was a BAD idea.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Wow. That is completely stunning!

4:32 PM  
Blogger teabird said...

Gorgeous!
Ice works for bubble gum - maybe it's also good for Silly Putty.

5:15 PM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Lovely blanket :)

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an incredibly beautiful (and huge) blanket! Good for you!

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think putting it in the freezer is a good idea. I made the mistake years ago of buying my niece one of those splat balls. It took the finish off the kitchen table! Yikes.

The blanket is GORGEOUS!! And Clementine is a doll.

Jo-Anne

10:44 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Gorgeous blanket!

I'd try the freezer trick. It works with play-dough

10:07 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

WOW- what a 'baby' blanket! That is more like a quilt of a blanket! Way to go!!! Hope the silly putty comes off...don't know any hints

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Beautiful baby blanket!

And lol about the silly putty. No idea but the freezer sounds like a plan. Like mother, like daughter.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

That is gorgeous! Hope the silly putty comes out of your daughter's blanket.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home