on the needles

Friday, February 15, 2008

Yeah - I'm Back :)

I realize I haven't posted in a few months (although I have been reading all of your blogs!). One of the reasons for the long silence is the construction on our kitchen that started in JUNE and only finished two weeks ago. This was a job that was supposed to take 6 - 8 weeks. I never would have thought that a kitchen remodel could be such a horrid soul sucking time sink - but ours certainly was...

Well, at least the kitchen is finally 99.9% done (we only have to paint the celing and re-hang a few pictures). Here's what held us up for six months:



Yep, a measly pair of sliding doors. You would think that sliding doors had been done before the year 2008. In fact, you would think that sliding doors are pretty commonplace. Well, if you were our construction company than I guess you would be wrong. Apparently fabricating and installing sliding doors is something akin to inventing the wheel.

I won't bore you with all the details of what went wrong etc...- I'll just say I am mighty glad to have our groceries off the floor and out of our entryway. After the doors were finally in place, Hubby and I installed the shelves.

So here is the finally finished product:





We have a matching closet in our family room that will contain the kids games, puzzles and the like.

The silver lining to this six months of serious hassle and expense is that we have a really kick ass kitchen.

The other big reason I haven't posted is that my Mother has breast cancer. This is her second bout with it but we thought it was over for good since the first time was 15 years ago. I don't plan on posting much about my Mom and her situation. It feels too much like an invasion of her privacy to make all of her trials public by posting alot of detail about them. I'll just say that she is doing really well so far. She has had her surgery and will start the chemo in a few weeks. So this is a long process that our whole family will be going through. If anyone reading this takes a second to send out a positive thought for my Mom I'd really appreciate it!

And since I like to try to end on a good note...here's another photo of my beautiful Clementine. I am so grateful for her snuggles and companionship these days! There's a reason why English Toy Spaniels were historically called "comfort dogs".

12 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Oh, I am so very sorry to hear about your mom. :( I will definitely be sending her healing thoughts - I swear they helped me with my surgery in October!

(And I'm glad your kitchen is finally done!)

7:09 PM  
Blogger Dianne said...

I'm glad you're back, and that your kitchen is done, but so sorry to hear about your mom. I'll be sending lots of healing vibes her way. Hugs to you and kisses for Clementine!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm sending all my thoughts and prayers out to your mom. I'm sorry to hear of her illness. On the positive, your kitchen looks amazing!

8:13 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Glad you are back! Positive thoughts and prayers for your mom and family!

The kitchen looks fantastic! And Clementine, oh, what a sweetie!! Love our spaniels!!

12:45 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Welcome back!

I'll be sending postive thoughts and prayers out for your mom.

I'm glad your kitchen is done and that you like it. That is one super organized pantry.

11:46 AM  
Blogger PJ said...

Glad your 'back'...your cabinet looks just TOO neat ;) beautiful wood...what a dream like kitchen! I'm so sorry to hear about your mom and I understand you feelings on sharing..so I'll just say I will be thinking of her for the next months and also for yourself and the rest of the family. I can imagine this is very hard. Clementine has the sweetest look!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

That is one damn fine lookin' pantry. Congrats on having a finished, kick ass kitchen.

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's health struggle. Sending lots of good wishes to you, your mom and your whole family for the strength to face the coming battle. May you all come out stronger on the other side.

Clementine is so adorable. Feel free to post as many pictures of her as you want. :)

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Clementine is a sweetie. Sorry to hear about your mother, she'll be in my prayers.

Clearly you have never heard any kitchen remodeling stories. 6-8 WEEKS? The lies they tell you. But you sure do have a kick ass kitchen now!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I'm so sorry your Mom is fighting that battle again. I am sending healing, positive thoughts her way.

Glad to hear your kitchen is finally done. I wish I had a pantry that size!

7:53 AM  
Blogger mrspao said...

Sending you warm and loving thoughts in this difficult time.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Dharma said...

The kitchen looks gorgeous. I am truly sorry to hear about your mother. This month marks two years since my mother's last chemo treatment. Thinking of you.

10:47 AM  
Blogger RoxyK said...

Glad the kitchen is finally finished!

Clementine is absolutely gorgeous :)

Sorry to hear about your mother and sending positive thoughts ;)

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home