on the needles

Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Madness!!

I have caught the bug - and this time it isn't the flu - thank goodness! Nope, this time it is crochet madness, specifically Berroco's new pattern Celestine Crochet. I took one look at that crazy dodecahedron and just HAD to make one.

Do patterns ever hit you that way? You see it and you drop everything to make one. I'm usually not that way. I think I have a slow burn as far as the knitting goes. I'm never the first one to hop on the bandwagon and crank out the latest popular pattern sweeping the internets. Nope, usually I am happy to go my own merry way knowing I'll get around to it sooner or later.

But these little crochet 3D stars....SOOOOOO addictive. I've made three so far and I'm working on my fourth! I have no plans for stopping there (although I may take a break when I finish this latest one.)

The first one I made out of some Lornas Laces Shepherd Worsted. I decided that it would be a good idea to check out the pattern first by making it in a larger gauge yarn. I'm glad I did because I discovered a significant error in the pattern as well as just realizing much easier ways to achieve the same results. This one will go to my nephew.

The second one I made using some purple Regia sock yarn that had been kicking around in the stash for a long time. I knew I would never use it for socks since it had a high cotton content and I don't like the way that feels in socks. But what I dislike about the yarn for socks is exactly what makes it perfect for amigurumi type crochet. For anything that will eventually be stuffed you want to crochet at a tight, firm gauge so there won't be any holes - yarn containing cotton crochets up just perfect for these dodecahedrons. The purple "star" will be for my daughter.



I set aside the first two I made while I waited for some jingle bells to arrive in the mail. (I like to add jingle bells to the toys I make - I think it just adds some fun for the kids who will eventually play with them.) But I didn't want to stop so I cast on for a third...



For the third dodecahedron I (as usual) decided to push the envelope a little and make it bigger. I started with a base chain of 55 stitches which ended up being a good number. It uses up nearly the whole skein of sock yarn and gives you a nice sized star - about 9 1/2 inches. It is the same size as the star I made out of the LL worsted starting with a chain of 35 as in the pattern. I used Lana Grossa Meilenweit 100 Cotton Fantasy and I LOVE how this one came out. It's definitely my favorite.



As soon as that one was finished I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool to make an even bigger one?" It just so happened that I had two skeins of the last bit of cotton sock yarn in my stash - so on the hook it went with a base chain of 95 stitches. I'm using a beautiful Sockotta colorway. I can't wait to see how it turns out - and how much bigger I decide to make the next one. :)

The first three are finished and stuffed so FO pictures to follow soon....

As usual you can find more info and pictures on my Ravelry page.

PS - This is the first ever crafting I have ever done which impressed my son. Boys dig the dodecahedrons!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger HPNY Knits said...

cool!!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

First, let me compliment you on your very sheepy pajama pants.

Those dodecahedrons are very cool. I really need to learn how to crochet.

As for starting things spur of the moment, I was just talking about that the other day. I've cast on for a couple things this month that were completely unplanned just impulse. And a bunch of my knitting grrls have done the same. There must be something in the water.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home