on the needles

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Harry's Income Generating Project

You can not even imagine how excited I was when I got Harry's letter telling me that his family had received their money for their Income Generating Project! I just have to share this with you guys. I know I ramble on about my sponsor kids. But it just is such a thrill for me to know, really 100% know, that I can help these kids out and change their lives in such a positive way...It has brought so much joy and peace into my life that I just can't even begin to describe.

Well, here is Harry at the dock picking up the supplies for his new family business! The family chose to sell fresh fish and charcoal. They will reinvest the money that they make so that my one time donation will become a continuous source of income for them. Harry made sure to tell me that they will "spend the monsy wisely" and not let it go to waste.



A Children International field worker helped Harry's family to determine a suitable, sustainable business to set up. Then the field worker took my donation and bought these supplies for the family. I told Harry that I hoped he didn't have to carry all of that home by himself! :)



The initial purchase was of ten sacks of charcoal, 40 kilos of fresh fish and a cooler to keep the fish in. CI estimates that the family will be able to gain about $0.43 in income from every bag of charcoal they sell and about the same for a kilo of fish. If they sell everything it will net them about $6.50. That sounds like a depressingly small amount until you realize that Harry's family previously had a monthly income of only $30. Even if they only sell this initial amount every month the family will be able to increase their income by 1/5th.

The family intends to grow the business so hopefully their income will continue to rise. I wish them every bit of luck and success! I'm so proud of Harry (he's really a bright & charming boy) and I feel so lucky to be able to provide him and his family with new opportunities in this way. To me this is the ultimate goal of sponsorship.

:)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

way to go!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

Great job. Thanks for sharing this. I can't wait to hear how it goes for them!

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home