on the needles

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hermelinda's New Photo

We got a new yearly photo of Hermelinda. Still no smile. I think Hermelinda and Javiera are the only two sponsor kids who have never smiled in their photos. They are also the only two of my sponsor kids whose families replied that they weren't interested in an income generating project. In Hermelinda's case the family lives in a very rural area and did not feel that there would be enough community support to enable them to start a new business. Personally, I don't think that the lack of smiles and the lack of opportunity is any coincidence. I wish there was more I could do to change that situation...



I'm not giving up though. I think of it as a challenge. :) I know I'll find a way to her heart somehow!! I just have to figure out something that she just can't resist...

Hermelinda is six years old and lives in Guatemala. Any ideas to get a smile out of Hermelinda?

Thinking about:
1. Quilting - all the time. Quilting makes me happy.
2. The Suspicions of Mister Whicher - very good book.
3. Colors and patterns - see #1.
4. Weeding out the yarn stash - has to be done but will happen slowly. Must not shock the system.
5. The Chupacabra - totally lives in our neighborhood. Last seen crossing the road under the overpass.


Thanks so much to everyone for the nice comments about the quilt. I've got to find a better commenting system that allows me to more easily reply. Hate the system I have. Anyone know anything better that works with blogger?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mallow said...

Have you looked at Haloscan? (don't know the exact spelling.) It may be better?

1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home