on the needles

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Love Zone




This is how Scooter likes to snuggle. Actually Lucy likes this too. :) They both love to get up under my chin and get kisses and scritches. Scooter loves big munchy kisses - I'm not actually trying to eat him despite what it looks like.

Birds that are happily getting snuggles sometimes seem to go into a zoned out state of mind. Knowing Scooter I can tell by looking at this photo that he was starting to get into the "love zone". His eyes are a bit glazed over. LOL! (Click on the picture and you can tell.) When Scooter gets that way you can pretty much roll him right over. You can kiss him and scritch him all up and down and he just loves it. He's such a character! When the kisses finally stop there's always a little pause and then the bird seems to "snap out of it". Sometimes they will even refluff and shake out their feathers as if to clear their minds. It's weird and fascinating.

Scooter's feathers seem softer than Lucy's. I wonder if that is just down to the different species or if it's just because he is still pretty much a baby?

Mary - I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the differences between your birds feathers. You have a larger sample than me! :)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Awww!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

So sweet!!! :)

9:26 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

And when you've got them in that position, you can get some sniffs in -- I'd imagine Lucy smells really good (I've smelled pionus but never meyer's, so I can't comment on Scooter!).

Max often has the outline of my lips (from my chapstick residue) on the top of her head!

My grey and budgie both have very soft feathers; my caiques and macaw not so much. I wonder if it has anything to do with their place of origin? Of our combined 7 birds, the 3 from the old world have soft feathers while the 4 from Central/South America do not. My grey and budgie are also much more powdery and downy than the others.

Interesting!

Also, so happy to see Scooter is fitting in so well! He is absolutely adorable (Lucy is, too, of course!)

11:05 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Very cute!

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home