on the needles

Monday, April 21, 2008

Jester



This is our newest sponsor kid from Children International. His name is Jester, eleven years old from the Philippines. He is one of four brothers! The family was abandoned by their father and they try to get by on $50 a month. His mother had to go to a city to find work as a maid so I think the boys may be living with their grandmother. They sleep on mats on a dirt floor. There is no electricity and they have to share a community faucet for water and a community latrine.

Jester waited for two years to find a sponsor! Children International sent out a great slide show to try to get sponsors for these "waiting children" - kids who have never had a sponsor and have been waiting a long time.

This is Jester's first picture when he signed up with Children International. Isn't he a cutie? I love his little scrunched up smile.



My son saw me watching the slide show and listening to the audio about Jester. He said, "Is that from Children International? Does that boy need a sponsor?" I explained that these were kids that had been waiting for sponsors. My son said, "Well then we have to sponsor him. Come on Mom! Give the boys a chance!" (All of our other sponsor kids are girls.)

So now Jester is our kid! My son and I will be sponsoring him together - just like we do with his other special sponsor kid Mary Joy who is also from the Philippines.

I thought you guys would like to see the slide show about Jester. Click on the link above and make sure you turn on your audio! Jester is the first one on the list. Just click on his picture to start the audio. There are some cute pictures of Jester and a bit of a story about him and his life. He sounds like such a sweet little guy. I'm so happy we are sponsoring him. My son is right of course, we do need to give the boys a chance. :)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

How wonderful and caring your son is - you should be very proud! And Jester is such a cutie!!

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new men in your life! Jester and Scooter.

How's the gluten free coming?

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home