on the needles

Friday, January 02, 2009

Our Happy New (And Old) Year

I hope everyone had a very happy new year!

We stayed up to ring in the new year and then the whole family spent New Year's Day playing Rock Band on the Wii until the kids begged us to let them go to bed. When Mom and Dad start a rockin' it's hard to stop 'em! :)

We tried to keep Christmas reasonable this year and not go overboard buying presents. I think we were mainly quite successful. I got some Kiva credits for the first time so I was able to make 6 loans. There were so many people making loans after Christmas that Kiva actually ran out which I thought was wonderful! I funded a cattle rancher, two food markets, a clothing store, a crafts group and a tattoo artist in Lebanon. Awesome!

I was also able to fund my sponsor kid Jhonny's Income Generating Project right after Christmas. I'm so excited for his family! I can't wait to see the report when Children International disburses the money. Of course I will share the photos with you all as soon as I receive them.

2008 was a strange year in many ways and ended on sort of a sucky note with the whole economy collapse thing. Plus I spent the 23rd in the hospital in severe pain so my best Christmas present this year was actually being home for Christmas rather than in a hospital bed. So for that I am VERY grateful!

In 2008 I read 50+ books, lost 22 pounds (yay!) and fulfilled a long held wish to learn to quilt. We also added Yumi and Indy to our animal family. Both of them have turned out to be awesome pets - and thank goodness because we are now at full capacity! Everyone in the family is healthy and happy so despite the crappy economy I think we have a great 2009 to look forward to. :)

And... I have some really really great news that I will be able to share with you all in about a week! :)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that Kiva program looks like something interesting. I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time and decided that today is as good as any day isn't it :)? Would you recommend to sponsor for example 4 projects with 25 USD each or rather one project with 100 USD?

Cheers Eva

6:26 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm glad you are feeling better! It sounds like your holidays went well. Gotta love the Rock Band. I've never played it, but heard it's addicting.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ouch!! I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. Here's to a better 2009.

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're the second blog friend promising BIG news "later." My patience is getting a new year's workout!

7:49 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I'm glad you're feeling better and out of the hospital. Here's to an even better 2009!

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home