on the needles

Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

So, despite the fact that I was sick most of the weekend (the dreaded tummy again), I had a really wonderful Mother's Day.

We gave Hubby's parents their gift of a donation through Children International to buy water containers to help families keep water safe and clean. They really seemed to like the gift and more than once said that it was really thoughtful and they would rather have that then more "stuff".

We also gave each of Hubby's parents a book - this one for Grandma and this one for Grandpa. They are those books where you answer questions about your life and write down your memories etc. I really hope they will actually fill them in - I can't think of a better gift to give to your kids and grand kids! When I think of my Grandparents I don't think of the things they gave me, I think of the stories they told me and the memories that I have of them. I'm definitely going to get copies of these books for the rest of the Grandparents & Hubby and I will probably fill out some of our own too.

For my own Mother's Day we also kept the "stuff" down to a minimum. I got the Knitpicks needle case I needed and now my wooden interchangeable tips are safely housed and organized. :) And best of all, Hubby and the kids each gave a $100 gift to three of our sponsor kids! We all discussed it and ended up deciding to help out our three poorest kids, Jester, Zoila and Harry.

My son chose Jester who you guys of course already know. His family has a total of $50 a month, only $10 per person.

My daughter chose Zoila. Zoila is nine and a half and is from Honduras.



Isn't she beautiful? Her smile is so sincere and sweet. Her family has $63 a month - only $7 per person. Zoila likes to play with dolls and she does lots of chores around the house to help out.

Hubby chose Harry, our new sponsor kid. (Remember, my son told us we had to give the boys a chance? So we have started sponsoring a few boys as well. We have 16 sponsor kids now!)



Harry is from the Philippines and is thirteen and a half. His family has only $30 a month! Can you imagine? It works out to only $6 per person. Harry likes playing basketball, and has a twin brother. His parents are separated.

The gifts to our sponsor children are child specific, meaning that the money will go directly to the child. Children International works with the families to determine what the child needs the most, clothes, school supplies, maybe a bed...whatever will best benefit the child. In time I will receive a letter and photos telling me exactly what the money was used for and also a letter from my sponsor kid. I can't wait!! I'll be really excited to see what they each get and especially to see the photos. It will be like having Mother's Day all over again!

I had such a great Mother's Day - hugs and kisses and (mostly!) sweetness from my own kids and the fun of giving gifts to my sponsor kids - Hubby said I'm like an extra mother to them so it was a fitting thing to do for Mother's Day. I even cheated on my wheat avoidance had chocolate cake - I was sick already so what the heck, right? It was damn good cake. :)

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

What a great Mother's Day! I hope you're feeling much better, too.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I hope you are feeling better! Tummy troubles are no fun.

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home