on the needles

Monday, March 12, 2007

Society Finches



Baby Society Finches! See how they all pile up on top of each other?



These are the two Daddy birds. The chestnut brown is John and the tan or fawn colored one is Paul. I named them after the Beatles because if you look really closely at the feathers on top of their heads you can see that they have Beatles haircuts. Funny head feathers is one of the prized traits in Society Finches. I have to admit they look really cute that way.

As far as I can tell almost all the babies look like John in their coloring except today I think I saw one that looks like Paul. Several of them have the funny head feathers. You can see it a bit in the picture of the babies in the nest.

Sadly we lost one baby the other day. They sleep with their heads hanging out of the nest and I think he must have fallen and then gotten too cold overnight. That's the hazard of having so darn many I guess.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Michael Stanford said...

Hi,

I guess in your first picture your finches need a much larger place to stay. It looks like its already over populated considering how fast these society finches reproduce

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home