on the needles

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Good News & Bad News

The good news is that my daughter seems to be back to normal. There is a chance that she may rebound in the next 24 hours or so but I am hanging onto the fact that she seems fine right now. I can't quite get over the image of my poor baby with a racoon mask of hives over her eyes - even the eyelids! We took photos of the whole event because if it happens again I want the doctors to be able to see what it looked like before. Also, I think if I tried to describe how bad it was I would probably get the typical doctor response which implies that I as a parent am exaggerating the problem. But no dice buddy! I have the photos!

A few good things did come out of this experience. My husband and I have been mentally prepared to act fast in case of an emergency for years - now I have proof that when the emergency happens we will be able to handle it well. No one panicked, no one dropped the ball. It is comforting in a strange way to have all of your fears become a reality and to come through the other side. I hope we never have to go through that again but at least I now have a feeling of confidence in our ability to act if needed.

I think we are going to buy a few stuffed animals and take them to our fire department to donate them to the EMT's. When my daughter rode in the ambulance, the EMT gave her a stuffed cat to be her comforting friend at the hospital. I had heard of programs like that and it was nice to see it in action. It helps the children stay calm and takes their mind (a little bit) off of their problem. My daughter named the cat "Scaredy Cat" because she "met him when she was scared". Doesn't that kind of break your heart?

So that's the good news.

Of course the O's are the bad news. About the game last night:

1. NOT A BALK!
Steve Kline DID NOT BALK. That bad call was directly responsible for the O's losing to the Yankees (who couldn't bat their way out of a wet paper bag this season after their crushing, humiliating defeat last year by the Red Sox.) I don't approve of players having fits of temper and displays of histrionics on the field but I was a wee bit glad that Kline poked the Umpire in the face. I think we all wanted to poke him in the face. HOWEVER - the temper tantrum just fueled the Yankees - all of a sudden their bats woke up and every guy up was getting a hit. Please O's - do not be the team that gives the Yankees back their big kid on the block grandiose confidence! Read this article for more: "After Time at the Top, an Age of Anxiety" or this "Yanks Come Back, Leave O's Behind"

2. The strike zone is not a rectangle.
After the balk call the Yankees pitcher got away with pitch after pitch six inches off the inside NOT being called as a ball. Perhaps that poke in the face affected the Umpire's vision. It was ridiculous.

3. The O's may deserve this bad karma. Two words: Peter Angelos.
The Wahington Post had some great articles today about the evil duo of Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos and baseball commissioner Bud Seilig. The deal that was made which gave Angelos the television rights to the Washington Nationals games was indeed a deal with the devil. Does anyone still wonder why they can't see Nationals games on tv - even though the Nats are having a GREAT season and are number one in their division? It is because of the outright greed of Peter Angelos and the corruption and chicanery of Bud Seilig. Read the articles in the Post. It's truly disgusting. Read this: "Nats Caught in TV Rundown"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home