on the needles

Monday, May 30, 2005

Box Lace Shawl & Baseball

Well - the Jamieson's did seem to get a bit softer after it's conditioning bath. I started on the Box Lace Shawl from Folk Shawls. The good news is that I am now getting gauge! Yay! This hardly ever happens to me if I use the needles size suggested in the pattern. I usually have to go down about two sizes. I thinking that maybe because lace is a looser type of fabric it fits in with my natural knitting style & I bet I won't have to block it too much. We'll see. :)

I am doing the Box Lace Shawl as my project for the Knit the Classics KAL. We start Middlemarch tomorrow. I can't wait. I read this book many years ago and loved it. I had read all of the Jane Austen there was and was casting about for another novel of "society" to read and came up with Middlemarch. Obviously Jane Austen and George Eliot are very different writers but they both have a deep understanding of human nature. Anyhow - I am curious to see if I like the book as much the second time around & if I get the same things out of reading it as I did before. I also really liked version that was done as a mini series in 1994. It was very true to the book. I ordered it from Amazon but it is taking forever to arrive!

I managed to get 8 rows done today which seemed like alot while I was knitting it! 248 stitches per row. It's a bit tough to knit during baseball though. The Nat's finally won (yay!) so hopefully they are back on track. And the O's put the Sox's in their place today. I am pretty amazed at how well the O's are doing this season and to be honest I keep waiting for them to crash and burn. I hold my breath (except for the cursing!) every time Ponson pitches. What is that guy doing on the mound?? Someone explain this to me. Tonight Bronson Arroyo helped out the O's by being his normal sketchy self and Lopez shut the Sox's down with some amazingly consistent pitching.



Johnny Damon did his best but really - he can't be expected to cover for the entire Red Sox team!


And of course, the under used and pretty cute (aside from the obligatory wad of chaw!) David Newhan stepped up and delivered for the O's with a Grand Slam among other great plays. O's - do yourselves and the ladies in the audience a favor and give Newhan some more face time! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home