on the needles

Friday, May 27, 2005

Mommy Rediscovers Her Inner Riot Grrl

I swatched the Jameison's last night. I couldn't get the row gauge to come out right. I got the right number of stitches but too few rows. I'm still trying to work out how to get more rows out of the yarn without altering the stitch gauge. In the meantime - I gave two of the hanks a bath in some warm water and hair conditioner. Some of the helpful folks over at Knitter's Review suggested this as a remedy for the scratchiness. I hope it helps because good lordy this is some scratchy yarn! I hope it doesn't just turn the yarn into a greasy mess - although I suppose if it's too greasy I could always give it a shampoo! LOL The yarn is drying in the shower right now. It doesn't seem any worse for the wear from what I can tell and now it smells nice too. :)

Hubby and I had childcare this afternoon so we took advantage of the free time to do errands (under the guise of "spending time together"). Any opportunity to be "sans infants" together while it is still light outside on a week day is so rare that even though we had to spend the time doing errands we had a good time together. He didn't even mind when I took a detour into one of the LYS. Of course, while I was in there he discovered a beer store around the corner so I bet he will be going on more yarn store trips with me in the future! :)

I'm really glad I wandered in there today because they finally had their summer class schedule up. I have been trying to get myself to a knitting class for ages now but never could manage it. There was always someone else with a class or a meeting that conflicted so being the mom I always ended up with last pick for scheduling. But not this time buddy! Summertime is school time for Mommy! I am taking a Sock knitting class and an advanced techniques class. Combined those with the Yoga class in taking this summer and I feel positively like a rebel! I didn't even stop to worry about who will cook dinner when Mommy goes to her class. I am even thinking about taking the Finishing Techniques class too. I'm so empowered! :) The coolest thing is that now I can claim that knitting is my homework. If it works I am going to take a class every season! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home