on the needles

Monday, April 17, 2006

Yarn P0rn!!

Okay, I finally took some photos of the loot I got when I went yarn shopping with my Mom. I had heard that one LYS that I usually don't go to had recently revamped their yarn stock, so of course we had to go see.

Here's what I got:



Click on the photo for a closer view.

On the left - a super delicious, superb, fabulous, scrumptious heap of Green Mountain Spinnery's Mountain Mohair in Sky Blue - destined to become Rogue or Eris. I am not a big fan of cotton yarn and all I had ever seen from Green Mountain Spinnery was their cotton. But I LOVE this yarn!!! Run, don't walk, to your nearest source and, if at all possible, roll about naked in a pile of this luscious yarn. I have super sensitive skin. But this feels like one of the softest wools ever! The only thing softer is Malabrigo and you know that is going to pill like crazy with wear. Also, the Green Mountain Spinnery is not too hairy, despite the mohair. (You know how I feel about hairy yarn, ugh!). It comes in at least ten colors that I LOVED and a whole bunch more that were beautiful as well. Unfortunately, the camera cannot capture the subtle depth of color in this yarn. I LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! Did I mention I really love it? I am really interested to see how this knits up.

I also got some Lornas Laces Shepherd Sock in Baltic Sea. This is only my second set of LL - I have yarn for another pair of socks in the stash. I've never knit with LL but it feels really nice and the colorways are so great.

I also got some Lana Grossa Meilenweit Colortweed in #1005 (the pinky purply stuff), and another skein of Lana Grossa Scala (which isn't pictured here because I already started a pair of socks with it. I also got a skein of Austermann Step (the avocado colored one). This is the yarn with the aloe vera and jojoba oil in it. I just had to get a skein of this & try it out. It certainly does feel soft. You can definitely feel that they have done something to the yarn. I just wonder if it is going to slime up my needles.

I wanted to also get some Trekking XXL sock yarn - but they were out. Will I ever get my hands on some Trekking?? Same thing with the Lana Grossa Mega Boots Stretch. I've been wanting to try this yarn based on the stretch element and also the way the colors on the sample photos blend so seamlessly into each other. But no luck there either - all sold out. But at least I know there's a local source now. :)

Lastly, in the photo are some balls of Cascade Fixation that my Mom picked up for me when she went to another LYS later in the week. I wasn't able to go but I asked her to get some Fixation for me because it's another sock yarn I haven't had a chance to try yet. I'm excited about trying it because I have really liked the look of the socks I have seen knit up with it. It will be nice to knit some socks on a size 2 needle for once! In my opinion though, the big drawback with Fixation is the colorways for the self striping yarn, which are mostly blah. They look slightly nicer knit up but still could be a lot cuter.

I also got Hip to Knit Hats. A good book, but a bit less "must have" than I had thought it would be. I really like the hat on the cover though and since I am aiming to get all my Christmas knitting done over the summer I thought this book would be a great resource. I also recently got Fiona Ellis' Inspired Cable Knits. This book is definitely a "must have" with the only drawback being that the yarns used are sometimes obscure (at least to me) Canadian yarns with no information for substitution included. I guess I can look everything up on the internet but that is kind of a pain. That said, the patterns are great!

Coming up next - finished Harry Potter Scarf (yay!), finished Skull Illusion Scarf (yay!yay!), and by popular demand, an update on my stash. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home