on the needles

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

My Year in Knitting

Amanda asked a good question on her blog. She asks: What was your favorite project this year?

That is actually a hard one for me to answer because for me, this year was less about specific projects and more about all the different techniques I learned and explored. This is really my first full year of knitting, the year in which I became a competent knitter. I no longer look at patterns and think that anything is too hard for me. This year I learned: cables, fair isle, sock knitting, lace knitting and entrelac. I learned ssk, yo, many different ways of increasing, how to use dropped stitches as part of a pattern, how to weave in ends using the duplicate stitch, how to seam a finished project together, the kitchner stitch, grafting, turning a heel and short row knitting, how to pick up stitches and make it look good, how to knit in the round on circular needles, how to use double pointed needles, how to make i-cord, how to alternate balls of yarn so that colors won't pool, the Twisted German cast on (which is all I use now), how to fix a dropped stitch (and all kinds of other mistakes!), and many other things which I can't remember right now! Wow! When I think about it - I have had a very productive year. These days my Mom (who taught me to knit in the first place) actually calls me up when she has knitting questions. Crazy!

So - my favorite knitting project is discovering the constant challenge of the process and always being curious about what new thing there might be around the next corner for me to learn. :) I've already got a class on knitting socks on two circs lined up in the new year.

For the future, I'd like to knit some mittens and gloves, try some felting, do a fair isle project, design my own project (probably lace), and to finally, FINALLY knit a sweater for myself!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home