on the needles

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Fun with Birdfeeders

Guess who I saw in our backyard the other day? The rare pileated woodpecker!



I have seen him about twice a year since we moved to this house. He likes the deadwood we have lying around the backyard - lots of yummy bugs living in there presumably. So I usually see him pecking away at one of the old logs further out in our yard. But the other day I saw him fly up and go straight to the birdfeeder. This is a relatively huge bird so all of the little chickadees, nuthatches, wrens and cardinals that usually hang around the birdfeeder backed off and let the woodpecker have it to himself. I saw some of the other birds waiting impatiently for their turn in our holly bush. My daughter and I watched the woodpecker for quite awhile and I took photos to show my husband who has only seen the bird once before. Right as I was getting ready to put away my camera Mrs. Pileated flew up and perched on their favorite tree where she was joined by Mr. Pileated.



I was really psyched to see her since I have only ever seen the male. I'm so glad he has a wife and I really hope they will nest somewhere around here so I can see some baby Pileateds! Mr. told the Mrs. about the good eats and she flew down to have a snack for herself.



As soon as the Pileateds left I saw the Tufted Titmouse. One of my favorites - aren't they sweet?



And one of our other frequent visitors, the Downy Woodpecker.



See how much fun you can have just by putting up a birdfeeder in your backyard? :)

**As I was getting ready to post this I looked outside & who did I see? Mr. Pileated! I hope that means they like the cuisine and have decided to stay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home