on the needles

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Lesly's Home Repair Project - Completed!!

I just received word from Aura's House that Lesly's Roof Project is complete!

Lesly is my daughter's sponsor child in Guatemala. They are nearly the same age and thick as thieves. :) Lesly's project was the first of my sponsor kids projects to be funded through Aura's House. My daughter helped out by donating her allowance and making and selling candies to raise extra money. But of course the support Lesly received from the donors at Aura's House was key to making this project possible. I can never thank them enough!!

Now the photos!!


Lesly with the supplies for her home repair.

Lesly's family received gravel and concrete to lay down a slab in the courtyard of their home. This will be a great help in keeping the home clean and dry since the courtyard got very muddy and stayed damp all through the rainy season. In the background of the photo you can see the tin sheets which were used to repair their leaky roof.


The new roof for Lelsy's house - keeping them dry!

Ta da! The new roof! Now the roof won't leak all through the rainy season. The family will be able to stay healthy and dry under their new roof.


Lesly stands on the new concrete floor which will help keep the dirt out of her home.

I love this photo of Lesly, proudly showing off the new floor. Lesly's father Hugo was able to do the repair work on his home since he works as a bricklayer. It must have been satisfying for him to finally be able to work to improve his own home! And I'm sure that Lesly's mother Aura especially appreciates the new floor since it will help keep the mud out of her home during the rainy season.


Lesly showing off her new propane stove.

How cute is Lesly in this photo?! I'm constantly amazed at what a sourpuss Lesly looked like in her first Children International photo. Despite that my daughter insisted that Lesly was the one for her. I guess my daughter knows that you can't judge a book by it's cover - Lesly hasn't stopped smiling since we sponsored her! Lesly's smile is so charming.

Aura probably really loves this new propane stove. I hope it has made cooking for the family easier for her. Previously the family cooked over an open fire. Anyone who has been camping and tried this knows how tough that can be. Try cooking like that everyday! So I'm sure this new stove is a huge blessing for Aura. The family also received some water containers to help keep their water fresh and clean. Their water comes from a community faucet so storage is always an issue in that situation.


Lesly with her new bed!

I love this photo too. It makes me think of Alice in Wonderland after she drank the bottle labeled "Drink Me" that made her shrink to "very small". Lesly looks like a little miniature person on that big bed! It's so nice to think of Lesly sleeping in a new bed and not getting dripped on by a leaky roof!


Lesly with her new bedding.

Lesly also got some new bedding. My daughter was really pleased with this because she thought it was "so beautiful".

My daughter wanted to pass her message along to all of the people at Aura's House who helped launch the project and all of the donors who helped make everything possible. She said:

"I felt very good seeing the photos of Lesly. Lesly is a very nice girl to know. I'm proud that I was able to help her. I feel really good about Lesly having a new bed. It means so much to me that you helped Lesly to get all of her new stuff. Thank you so much."

And on behalf of Lesly and her family I thank you too!

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Stephanie,
Thank you for sharing your photos of Lesley and her home improvements and with her new bed, stove, etc. It is so awesome to know that with a little help you were able to make one family's lives so much better and so much easier. It is so hard for us in the US to even imagine living day to day like these people do. Lesley looks so happy and so proud. God bless you. And keep up the good work. Lisa (aka Speedy)

7:41 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Hi Stephanie!

I'm unsure if Jasmin's family did the repairs themselves or not. I didn't even think of that before- and now I am quite curious if they did or not. Perhaps I will ask about it in my next letter.

Lesly is so so tiny! How could anyone say no to that cute face? Yay for Aura’s house!

Also, I read on one of Harry's posts that you have a ton of kids with the same birthday month. I am in the same boat! I have 5 kids who have March birthdays, 2 that have February. Luckily Janet's isn't until June so I have a bit of a break. :)

8:50 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

What fantastic news -- thanks for updating!

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Garage Door Brooklyn said...

So does Lesly also repaired that propane stove?

3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home